Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Happy 2009!

The new year has flown by and I've been going full throttle. It has been a challenge to keep up with work, the side business (my hubby calls it my hobby), the household work and the ankle biter. Where does all the time go? I have decided to log down my time to see if perhaps I'm not using my time wisely. So my day is goes something like this:

5am - alarm goes off, I hit the snooze button
5:15am - okay, okay I'm up; into the shower I go. sinus headache. yuck.
5:30am - out of the shower, dressed and waking up the ankle biter, getting her dressed
(note: it may seem strange that I wake her up that early since I can't drop her off until after 7:30a, but she is slower than a turtle)
5:45am - fixing a quick breakfast for her; I gulp down a cup of tea, a piece of toast, a banana. Didn't get to the yogurt so I bring it with me to work
6:30am - get make up on, checking to make sure I have everything
7:00am - start loading car up, remind the kid we are LEAVING in five minutes
7:05am - I am reminded that Curious George is not finished yet.
7:15am - load the kid, start the van and leave
7:30am - drop off kid
7:45am - arrive at work, check email, check in box
8:30am - everyone is finally arriving at work; I'm already gone through piles of work and prioritizing work for the day. start the meeting minutes. I remember the yogurt so I start eating it
9:00am - I need coffee. darn. gotta hit the head first
9:30am - get distracted by more email. dang. I need to go check the mail at the mailroom across the street at the hospital. got coat on, keys in hand, mail in the other
9:45am- got coffee.mmm..good. walk back to office with mail.
9:50am - start on cash deposit, enter info on spreadsheet, make copies
11:00am - take RSVPs from mail for big dinner fundraising event, process and assign tables. yogurt still staring me in the face, half eaten
11:30am - deposit bag in hand, mail in hand. toss yogurt in trash; way too warm to eat now. time for lunch. hubby calls. I beg for mercy and ask him to bring me my allergy meds and a ham sandwich. pretty please. he has just gotten out of dentist's chair, spent 3 hours in it
12:15pm - my sandwich arrives. still working on minutes. didn't make it across the street with deposit.
12:30pm - gulp down lunch. ugh. I probably should chew it...too late.
12:45pm - working on the minutes still, get interrupted by phone call. urgent need for item, please fax
2:00pm - still working on minutes. darn. I should have done it weeks ago, but just no time. boss checks in looking for minutes. I joke that if she didn't give me so much work I'd be done with it by now. remember that I haven't taken allergy meds, quickly gulp them down
3:00pm - finally done with the meeting minutes now proofing. more email arrives. crud!
3:30pm - revised minutes. walk up to boss' office. give boss minutes for her to proof; yes it's in the same computer folder file that I usually put it in.
4pm- talk shop with boss. find out all these interesting facts about people. check clock..ugh. deposit isn't going to happen today; cashier is leaving at 4:30pm and I'm not going to make it. I'll do it tomorrow.
4:35pm - finally downstairs, logging off and cleaning up
4:45pm - outta here, only half an hour later than usual...
5pm - heading to pick up ankle biter at preschool...see friend in school parking lot. shoot the breeze for 15 minutes while I sit in car and she freezes to death outside.
5:15pm - at preschool, pick up kid. teacher wants to talk. talk. talk. I like her, so I hang out and give advice on how to be more aggressive and proactive. I tell her she's just too passive and too nice. she laughs and says she even raised her voice and it didn't work. lol but she isn't laughing.
5:30pm - got kid, in van and then realize gas tank is half empty. hmm.should put some gas. gas will go up tomorrow, I bet.
5:40pm - at costco. oh crumbs. gas was $1.71 two days ago. It's now $1.78! kicking self now.
5:45pm - gas pump shows $25. I guess that's not too bad. thinking if I should run and get my make up from dept store...I'm almost empty. Oh I might as well do it now.
6pm - at dept store. get distracted because I see xmas stuff at 75% off. look for ornaments for sister in hawaii. nah. nothing good. move on to kids section...ooh. coats are 60% off with additional 50%. gotta get one for the kid.
6:20pm - tried on 3; grabbed 2 head for register. I wait, wait, wait. now remember why I hate coming here....customer service is so bad.
6:25pm - really. should I just leave? ugh. here she comes finally! I make her price check it. decide we're getting just one. kid pick the one she likes. customer service lady is not looking so happy. I'm thinking sheesh, she should be glad I'm buying something for goodness sake.
6:28pm - finally get to the cosmetics counter. prompt and pleasant russian saleslady. I adore her, she's always so nice and quick. OK, coats back on, let's go
6:36pm - at the mailbox, get mail, pull into driveway, get kid out, unload car, head upstairs change clothes, check out hubby. he tells me there is no rice in rice pot. nice. I'm starving now. I gotta clean up sink, cook the rice and wait.
7pm - uh. fix me a drink (no it's not alcoholic); I guess I have to feed the kid first. turn tv on; watch news. get peeved with news;change channel to food network.
7:15pm - kid is done. I might as well log onto computer. computer hates me. reboot. finally.
7:20pm - I think I'll blog. kid is begging for her lollipop. why did I turn to food network..that was stupid; I'm now hungrier.
7:30pm - realize kid is gone. hubby comes downstairs and says she's kicked him out of his mancave and is on HIS computer. lollipop is sitting on counter.
7:49pm - rice is done. I'm ready for food. gotta quit blogging.
7:50pm - go to dvr and watch dave ramsey show. OK. gotta quit and go make dinner.
I'm thinking I'm using some of the time wisely....aren't I? The saga continues later...

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Holy cow! I'm exhausted just reading about it!!!